“So what does it mean to be Organic?”
Somebody asked this very question of Kate this week and that question got me thinking about what a good question that is.
So what is organic food? Really it comes from a system of farming that maintains and replenishes soil fertility without the use of toxic and persistent pesticides and fertilizers.
- It means farmers do not use antibiotics, growth hormones, synthetic hormones, genetic engineering in their crops or animals, sewage sludge or irradiation.
- It means that food is minimally processed without artificial ingredients, preservatives or irradiation.
- 100% organic: For foods with single ingredients – like eggs, fruits and vegetables – or multi-ingredient foods – like cookies or cereal – that are 100% organic.
- Organic: For multi-ingredient foods can be labeled as “organic” if they use 95% organic ingredients.
- Made with Organic Ingredients: Foods must be made with 70% organic ingredients and use no GMO ingredients in the remaining 30%.